GIRIJA KRISHAN VARMA, Attorney
LL. M. (Cornell. U.), Fellow, Stanford University
Girija K. Varma is a practicing Attorney specializing in Intellectual Property (IP), Patents, Cyber laws, Business & Economic Offences and Right to Information laws. She is a consultant and Counsel to leading Corporates, the World Bank, Knowledge/ Legal Process outsourcing (KPO/ LPO) companies and Educational Institutes. With her educational qualifications and International exposure, Girija provides a global perspective to clients, as she has a good understanding of Indian and foreign legal systems especially U.S and U.K.
Intellectual Property Attorney:
Girija’s IP practice includes Case Management, litigation, Arbitration and Consultancy. Her firm, Girija law & Associates handles Trade Mark, Copyright, Design, Patent & IP registrations, prosecutions, advises on management of patent portfolios, their industrial application, drafting license agreements, and developing litigation strategies in IP cases. Girija represents her clients before the High Court’s and Supreme Court of India.
She advises IP and Legal Research programs for leading KPO/ LPO service providers. This involves patent searches and drafting, landscaping, responding to office actions, prosecutions, infringement / competitor analysis for global clients to help them address their business and IP challenges, licensing and related matters such as leveraging IP, litigation support, legal and case law research etc.
Girija has been instrumental in establishing Global Institute of Intellectual Property (GIIP). As Dean and member on Board she steers GIIP’s policies and develop strategic alliances for the Institute. The Institute partners with International and National Universities: University of Washington, USA; William Mitchell College of Law, USA, Silicon Valley Seminars and IIT Delhi.
GIIP is a premier IP institute imparting training to Technology and Science graduates in patent & IP portfolio management, patent claim drafting, IP valuation, litigation and prosecution etc. Girija is the Program Chair for content development for the course curriculum and training for the Trainers. (www.giipinfo.com).
Consultant to World Bank:
As a Consultant to the World Bank,Girija works closely with Bureaucrats, Government Officials and NGO’s in formulating strategies for implementation of good governance, transparency and accountability within Institutions. She appears before Courts in litigations arising from RTI issues, PIL’s and related public interest causes.
Girija started her career with Amarchand Mangaladas Shroff & Co., Advocates & Solicitors. She has had an accomplished career at Microsoft Corporationas Head and Corporate Attorney, as representative to Business Software Alliance (BSA), as Counsel to Standard Chartered Bank and HCL – Hewlett Packard and doing clerk-ship at Herbert Smith a Law-firm in UK. She has established the legal departments for these companies in India and has been responsible for IP & Corporate litigation and managing the legal aspects of the company’s commercial transactions.
- A Bachelors degree in law, Delhi University
- A Master’s (LL.M) degree from Cornell University, New York, USA and
- She was awarded the British Council Chevening Scholarship for Young Lawyers.
- Is a Fellow, Stanford Law School, California, USA.
At Stanford, Girija got a distinction for her research on “Significance of Monetary Damage Awards; in enforcement of Intellectual Property”.
Presentations and Papers Authored:
- Presented at forums in India and California: at FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry), conference organized by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), at APAR/C (Asia Pacific Center in California) and US Embassy. Topics included IP laws, patents, remedies in IP cases, domain names and enforcement of IP.
- Was a panelist with Judge of US Court of Appeals for Fed. Cir.; Chief IP Counsel, Caterpillar; President Law & IP Unit, Fujitsu to discuss Injunction vs. Damage Awards in IP cases at a conference organized by Univ of Washington, USIBC (US India Business Council) and CII (confederation of Indian Industries).
- On NDTV India she was a panelist with Chief Information Commissioner RTI, Vice Chancellor Delhi University and other members.
- Spoke on national TV programs of India on enforcement of IP laws, and on “Negotiation and mediation as a support to legal machinery”. A landmark judgment was delivered in a case argued by Girija, which was recently aired on all National channels of India including CNBC, Zee, NDTV.
- Authored papers on topics relating to Patent Law: I) Standard of Patentability: And its governance ii) Whither Software Patents in India? iii) Patents Granted by USPTO for Traditional Knowledge.
- Member Arbitrator on ICA (Indian Council of Arbitrators)
- Member of ABS (Association of British Scholars)
- INTA (International Trade Mark Attorney’s)
- APPA (Asia Pacific Patent Attorney’s)
RAVI B. UPASANI, Ph.D
Dr. Upasani is based in California, USA and is a Senior Consultant to Girija Law Partners. He holds a Ph.D. in chemistry and is a registered patent agent with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). His expertise comes from a unique combination of extensive work in medicinal chemistry and Intellectual Property. As the erstwhile Senior Director of Intellectual Property at Renovis, Inc., a Biopharma company and subsidiary of Evotec, AG, he was responsible for patent drafting, prosecutions, management of the company’s extensive patent portfolio and implementation of their patent strategy. He currently manages S. M. IP Consulting, in USA.
As a patent agent he has wide experience interacting with patent examiners. For more than last 20 years his experience has been in directing chemistry discovery groups for various biopharmaceutical companies. While his research has been focused in the pharmaceutical arena, on the design of new lead compounds in different target areas and the development of structure-activity relationship (SAR), his industrial and academic research spans a broad spectrum of chemical disciplines, including industrial polymers, organo-ferromagnetic materials, super conducting materials and fullerenes. Dr. Upasani has authored more than 35 publications and is an inventor of more than 15 US patents. He has drafted and filed over 150 patent applications in the US and other jurisdictions.
Dr. Upasani provides specialized IP consulting services for drug development companies:
- Structure based and SAR (Structure-Activity Relationship) driven IP Strategy
- Strategic Advice for Small molecule IP Landscape development
- Small Molecule Patent Drafting (COM, Pharmaceutical Composition, Process, etc.)
- Preparation of Tables of compounds and Synthetic write-ups for patent drafting using expertise in Data Manipulation from corporate databases (ISIS/Base, e-Notebook/Symyx)
- Freedom-to-Operate (FTO) and Patentability Searches and Search Analysis
- Patent Filing and Prosecution
- IP Portfolio Management
- IP Due Diligence
- Patent Life Cycle Management (process, formulations, combinations, etc.)
Divya has a standing of 10 years plus in the legal profession. She has varied experience of working with an Advocate-on-Record Ms Bina Gupta, Supreme Court and with the Law firm Dua Associates. Divya has valuable expertise in Energy, Petroleum & Telecom sectors, specifically Petroleum and Natural gas. She is Legal Consultant and Advisor to the Petroleum & Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB).
She has provided legal advice to:
- Bidding for pipeline projects, CGD networks, tariff and other documentation work with the Ministry and other authorities.
- Esteemed organizations like Bharti Air Tel, HCC (Hindustan Construction Company) and Cellular Operators Association of India.
- She has been involved in the landmark of Cellular Operators Association of India vs. Union of India with regard to the dispute over WLL phones.
- The Presidential Reference and Constitutional implication of conducting elections after the dissolution of Gujarat Assembly because of the riots. Also in resolving the dispute between the promoters of Kakinada power project.
- She handles litigation before various forums including the Supreme Court of India, High Court, and the Electricity Appellate Tribunal.
- She also attends to Arbitrations, matters before Company Law Board, MRTP Commission, and Consumer Forums. And drafts agreements, contracts and advices transactional law to various companies.
Sujay is a key partner with GLP that brings in unique expertise with his diverse work experience of 15 years. He has a rich educational background as a Management (MBA) and law (LL.B) graduate. He is an expert in strategic planning, market plan execution, and account management. Prior to GLP he engaged in managing profit centers and worked as a business strategist for startup companies. He has been involved in developing marketing strategy for Telecom, Energy, Petroleum, Office automation, logistics, and automotive sectors. He has been part of the founding team of Mahindra Logistics, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd and Tata Indicom Enterprise business of the Tata Group, RFID and various other Telematic ventures.
To GLP he brings in his expertise with start up operations, business development and Business Marketing. He is instrumental in the growth and business development of the law firm. He is responsible for developing the firms Private Equity Practice. He advices clients on fund formation, deal structuring, bid planning, risk allocation, Management and equity participation, Industry and regulatory issues, Restructuring, refinancing and exit planning.
A. P. SINGH
A. P. Singh has 21 years experience handling legal affairs, litigation civil and criminal matters. He is a professional with expertise in Criminal matters, providing Corporate Consultancy Services; handling Civil & criminal Intellectual Property Litigation; Mediation & Arbitration; MRTP matters; drafting and negotiating legal / commercial documents and representing companies before courts.
Sindhu is one of the key litigation lawyers with Girija Law Partners. She has been trained by British Council in advocacy skills after obtaining her Law degree. Prior to joining GLP, she was associated with Law Firm M. V.Kini &Co. and was instrumental in successfully handling major clients. She has over six years experience in Litigation, legal affairs, is proficient in scrutinizing documents, drafting pleadings and case management. She has effective communication, leadership & problem solving skills with an eye for detail. Her core areas of practice cover:
- Handling civil and criminal litigation matters before all Courts and Forums,
- Handling mediation, conciliation & arbitration matters before Dispute Resolution Boards & Arbitral Tribunals,
- Carrying out legal due diligence, handling documentation for registration of Intellectual Property Rights & preparation of Legal Scrutiny Reports,
- Prosecution of trademark, copyrights, designs and patents- registrations,
- Enforcement of IP rightsby detecting and preventing infringements of rights.
- Advices on acquisition, sale and licensing of Intellectual Property rights.
has 7 years of experience at the Bar specializing in Criminal law. He deals extensively with investigating authorities (Police etc.) and appears before the District and Criminal courts in Delhi and other States.
M. Lohila has 7 years of litigation experience in criminal matters. He has a sound understanding of how the Criminal Justice System works in India. He has handled criminal cases for a large Telecom company.
H. Bhatia has recently completed his law from London School of Economics. Prior to LSE, he was working as a Paralegal at law firms in United Kingdom such as Allen & Ovary, was Legal Assistant to ACME Global Inc. in Washington D.C and The United Nations.